"Every storm has a silver lining, the trick is finding it."

Friday, August 26, 2011

Must be doing something right....

Good Morning!

For the past few days I have been knocked down by some sort of strange mutant cold that I am almost positive has a mind of it's own.  It is having entirely too much fun messing with me and I am on the verge of conquering it.  But this morning this evil cold jumped to Niko.  Little man is now sick with pretty much the same symptoms I have been having.  So we turned the living room into our own little hospital room.  The couches have pillows and blankies.  We are beginning our Star Trek Movie Marathon and I have homemade chicken soup for lunch.  Sick days suck but once again I have my blessings.  As little man was lying on the couch, curled up and not feeling well he looked up and asked me if I needed anything.  Completely on his own.  I said I was ok and he said he could get me some water if I was thirsty.  Now, being a Mom, I had to fight back the tears.  Here was this little boy, sick and sleepy and he was worried about me.  What an insanely proud moment. 

One of my greatest wishes for my children is that they lead a life of serving others.  I want them to, of course, attend to their needs but try to focus more on others.  I truly believe that if you live your life serving others you will get more joy out of life then just trying to serve yourself.  When we focus so much on our own needs we loose sight of what is really important.  Instead of focusing on "stuff" we should be focusing on each other.  We should be focusing on the needs of others. 

In the weeks before my surgery I was terrified.  There was no way to know how the surgery would go.  I had heard the horror stories and I had lost friends.  Every morning I would wake up with the knowledge that May 27, 2010 could be my last day on this planet.  What a traumatic time that was.  But in those weeks I learned a great deal.  Facing your own mortality does things to you.  It puts your life into perspective.  And man does it mess with your head.  But it made me realize so much.  The things I wanted out of life changed.  The things I thought about were not the car I drove or the clothes I had or the money in the bank.  I never even thought about things like that.  Instead, my mind focused on the memories that I had.  The things I did with my kids and everyone else.  The flashy things all disappeared.  They meant nothing.  I never once wished I had a nicer anything.  I wished I had spent more time with my lil monkeys.  I wished I had spent more time with my family and friends.  Not buying stuff, but making memories.  I wished I had spent more time leaving a legacy on this Earth.  Talk about mixing up my bucket list!  But I wouldn't change that.  I am glad that I got to see life differently.  I sometimes wish others could have just a moment like that.  A defining moment in their life that makes them see what is truly important.  That it is not what we get in this world that matters but what we give. 

My little man is learning to serve others.  What a joyful realization to have as a Mother.  At a time where it would be completely and totally understandable for him to just focus on himself he is trying to help me.   What an amazing little man I have been blessed with! 

1 comment:

  1. Again, you've given me chills. Ya know what's so special about that message? It's advice that has real life experience and truth behind it. It's not just something that sounds good and makes the messenger look insightful.

    Kudos to you Niko... and to your mom for being the kind of mom that every kid should be blessed with.

    ReplyDelete