"Every storm has a silver lining, the trick is finding it."

Monday, August 29, 2011

I made a lady cry today...

But in my defense I didn't mean to!  Ha!

Today I had an interview with a reporter for one of the local newspapers.  And aside from the fact that I made her cry, it went pretty well.  Turns out my story is pretty amazing to someone who hasn't heard it before.  She called me an inspiration, which is a little more than I expected but it felt good to see once again something good come from this crazy life.  Let me explain.  The other day while home sick I had an idea *gasp*.  For those of you who know me, that can be a pretty scary thing.  My ideas are usually pretty off the wall and slightly crazy.  But they do seem to work out a lot.  Anyways, I was sitting at home and I saw that one of the other Chiari Walk sites in Oklahoma were able to get their story on the news.  What a great idea!  The Walk is about 6 hours from here but that doesn't mean it doesn't need exposure.  It doesn't mean people here in the Valley don't need to know about Chiari and ways they can help.  And it definitely doesn't mean there aren't people here that might need someone to reach out to them and support them!  So it got me thinking.  Now, being the complete shy girl that I am (bahahaha) I decided to make a few phone calls to people I know that might be able to help.  A few phone calls later and an email from a local reporter ends up in my email!  Success!!!  First the newspaper and then the news and then maybe world domination?  Yes, world domination seems like the obvious next step!

When I was first diagnosed in 2008 I was terrified.  The Internet is a double edged sword.  You want to know all about your diagnosis but then you see all the horror stories as well.  And when you are dealing with a major medical issue that is extremely scary.  I only saw the bad situations.  The message boards are filled with people who are suffering and hurting.  They have nowhere else to turn at times because nobody else understands what we face.  So they lean on each other.  But for someone who is newly diagnosed that can be incredibly frightening.  I believe there are plenty of success stories.  People who have had the surgery and are doing relatively well.  But they sort of disappear off the message boards.  They move on and don't want to look back.  And who can blame them?  Why would you want to be reminded of what could happen?  Because the simple truth about Chiari is that there is no cure.  So why would you want to remind yourself of the suffering that comes with Chiari?  And I did that too for awhile.  I ran away from everything and everyone Chiari.  After awhile though it hit me.  I have been blessed with a pretty good recovery.  I need to do something with it.  I need to stand up and fight for awareness for people who cannot.

So world domination is, of course, my only option.  Only then will people truly take Chiari seriously.  So that is my plan.  I realized last week that I keep saying I want to do more but I hadn't really done anything.  Now I am.  Now I am going to get out there.  I am going to help spread the word.  Most people have never even heard the word Chiari, let alone know what it is.  And there are so many out there who have Chiari and need support.  I want to be the positive story they read about.  The story that gives them hope.  Because at the end of the day the only thing we have is hope.  If I can reach at least one person in the Valley then I will be happy.  So keep an eye out in the papers or maybe even the news.  You might see my face!  Because after all, I am kinda a big deal!   

3 comments:

  1. Love you Duckie!! And I absolutely love that you can find the positive side to a frequently negative thought. I have no doubt you will impact someone's life with your story... well, someone else besides me :) Hey, when that world domination thing happens, don't forget about your favorite duck. You have an east coast voice outside your valley... and of course wherever else I end up.
    It's an amazing thing to be an inspiration to people... but you're even more awesome because you make the inspired laugh too ( we'll forgive the times you make us cry, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. WORLD DOMINATION! i'm all for this plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I love you Duckie!!! And doesn't it though Shannon!?! I think it is pure brilliance! =)

    ReplyDelete